American Graduate: Let’s Make it Happen is public media’s long-term commitment to supporting community-based solutions to the dropout crisis. Supported by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), more than 80 public radio and television stations have joined forces with over 1,000 partners and at-risk schools across 30 states.
What we’re doing
- National and local reporting, both on air and online is helping communities understand the challenges and community-driven solutions associated with the dropout crisis.
- Public forums, town halls, and community conversations are activating discussions between community leaders, educators, and more.
- Free, digital classroom resources such as PBS Kids and PBS LearningMedia, are providing youth across the pre-k to postsecondary education/career spectrum with access to high-quality learning materials that engages them in classrooms and schools across America.
- Educational programs
- Convening diverse stakeholders in forums and providing access to free, digital classroom resources for teachers and parents.
- Public media plays a significant role building individual activity, community capacity, and national awareness.
A recent study conducted by the Everyone Graduates Center at Johns Hopkins School of Education finds that the American Graduate initiative has succeeded in building community capacity to meet the national priority of ending America’s high school dropout crisis.
- Local education, business, non-profit leadership move the needle for Collective Impact efforts in key American Graduate themes: Early Learning, Student Engagement/Re-Engagement, Caring, Consistent Adults, and College & Career Success
- Eight continues to link partners website (Tyson.O'Steen@asu.edu, azpbs.org/amgradaz )
- Eight makes social media connections (Colleen.Pierce@asu.edu, #amgradaz )
- Partners contribute story ideas (Mike.Sauceda@asu.edu , Arizona Horizon)
- Eight provides and contributes content & makes partner connections (Kim.Flack@asu.edu, Barbara.Baum@asu.edu )
Copyright © 2014. American Graduate.
American Graduate is supported by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting in partnership with America's Promise Alliance, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.